Connect with us

NEWS

Fire guts palm oil mill in Enugu

Published

on

It will forever be an indelible memory for many Palm Kernel oil extracting mill and shop owners as their shops and mill were gutted by fire.

  The sad incident which happened at the early hours at Onyekwelu Street, Garriki, Akwunanaw in Enugu, was so severe that it took about four fire service water trucks to contain the fire.

 According to an eye witness who spoke to National Light on condition of anonymity, revealed that one of the owners of the oil factory whose name was given as Emeka, had been warned about the constant spark of electricity through his power control switch but the warning fell on deaf ears.

 However, on the faithful day, there was a high voltage of power which caused a spark from the control circuit and resulted to fire which didn’t affect only his shop but another palm kernel oil extracting factory and many other provision stores nearby which was reduced to rubble by the raging fire.

 “Due to the inflammable substances inside the factory, which included palm kernel oil, chaffs from the finished products and plastic drums for the oil, the fire was too hard to contain.”

The thick smoke and raging fire was not the only reason that caused the panic, but fear of the inferno spreading to a nearby filling station and electric transformer.

Another eye witness who spoke to National Light, disclosed that  his mother alerted them to remove all valued documents and property from their house incase the inferno escalates to the neighbourhood.

The Governor of Enugu State, represented by his deputy, Cecilia Ezeilo, who visited the scene accompanied by the Chairman, Enugu South Local Government Area, expressed sympathy to the victims of the inferno and promised to provide assistance to them as goods and mechanical equipment worth millions of naira was totally damaged.

In a similar development in the same area, another palm kernel mill was earlier this month destroyed by fire.

The cause of the inferno has not been ascertained and even with the intervention of the state fire service, two brothers who were just settled from their apprenticeship and the shop being their only source of income and goods worth millions of naira were totally left in misery and pain.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending