Connect with us

ECONOMY

Death toll rises in Lagos gas fire

Published

on

A CHILD simply identified as Favour was yesterday rescued alive from the rubbles of one of the collapsed buildings at the Abule Ado explosion scene.

Luck came the three-year-old baby’s way when operatives of Nigeria Red Cross arrived at the site of the devastation.

According to Chairman of Nigeria Red Cross, Adebowale Kolawole, the baby was recovered in her natural state, adding that efforts are already going on to ensure she survives.

“We recovered her naked under the debris of a building. Later we found out that the mother and her sibling were admitted in the hospital and the mother who had a head injury was in semi unconsciousness. This morning when she asked for her daughter, the doctors told her that her daughter is safe and with the Red Cross. Actually that was what we wanted to hear so that the mother would be at rest psychologically and it will not add to the pains that the mother is going through. As soon as possible we are taking her to go see her mother at the Naval hospital. She is favour and God has favoured her,” he said.

But two more corpses of yet-to-be-identified persons were also recovered by the officials at the scene of explosion yesterday. They were found under the rubbles of the collapsed school building.

This is coming as some Abule Ado residents in Lagos State, who were affected by Sunday gas fire outbreak, have started packing their belongings to different destinations. Some of the victims said the move was to avoid further destructions as the firefighters were still battling to put off the blaze.

One Bisi Lateef who was with her children said many of her household property were destroyed by the fire while her house was completely razed down.

Meanwhile, Lagos State Government yesterday set up a N2 billion emergency relief fund to assist victims of last Sunday’s explosion at Abule Ado area of the state.

Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu announced this after visiting the scene of the explosion at Ado Suba in Abule Ado.

According to Sanwo-Olu, three account numbers had been opened at different banks for well-meaning Nigerians to assist the state government in assisting the victims. The numbers are included Polaris Bank 4030017510, Zenith Bank 10171845716 and GT Bank 0586615680.

“It is a N2 billion relief fund, and the state government will immediately be putting N250 million in that fund. This is certainly beyond what the state government can undertake on its own. This is beyond what the government, be it at the national or state, can undertake on its own. So, what this fund would do is to give everybody the opportunity to be part of it and to be able to donate into it,” the governor said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending