Connect with us

NEWS

COVID-19: 5 flee after testing positive

Published

on

… 3 in Kano, 2 in Borno

FIVE persons have fled after testing positive of the coronavirus pandemic.

  While three of them fled from Kano, two others fled from Borno State..

  Kano State Coordinator of technical response team on COVID-19, Mr. Tijjani Hussaini, on Monday, said that three COVID-19 patients in the state had fled and switched off their phones after testing positive

  Mr. Hussaini disclosed this while speaking to newsmen, and noted that his team was working with security agencies to trace the patients and move them to the designated isolation centre.

  “Out of 77 confirmed cases tested positive in Kano, we are yet to trace three persons, because they have changed (their) place(s) of residence and switched off their phones. But we have sought the assistance of security personnel to trace them and take appropriate action,” he said.

  Mr. Hussaini however declined to reveal the specific location where the patients were previously living on ethical grounds, but assured that residents of the area were fully aware of runaway patients.

  Similarly, two patients – Abbas Kaka Hassan, 24, and Hauwa Mohammed, 42 are on the run after testing positive to COVID-19 at University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital in Borno State.

  While H assan lives in Tanki in Gwange Ward II, Hauwa lives in Shuwari Ward.

  Briefing journalists on the issue, Commissioner of Health and Secretary to Borno State Response Team for Prevention and Control of COVID-19,   Dr. Salisu Kwayabura, promise that the fleeing patients would be apprehended soon.

Kwayabura said he spoke with Hassan on telephone after his sample was collected, before he switched off his phone when he learnt he tested positive.

  According to him, a phone number through which the patient’s mother was in touch with the team has also been switched off.

  “When samples of patients with contacts to index cases are collected, they are normally advised to go on self-isolation. They give their contacts so they can be reached when the results are out. This is the standard medical procedure. You can’t detain someone with suspected contact. We do not have the lawful powers to do that.

Other patients were also allowed to leave but they came into isolation centres and we have 19 of them in two isolation centres. However, the young man in question chose to go into hiding,” Kwayabura said.

  While noting that a diligent surveillance and investigation team is working very hard to track the patients, Kwayabura called on anyone who tests positive to the disease not to regard it as a death sentence as the majority of those who test positive have recovered from the disease.

  He, however, stated that 16 of COVID-19 cases emanated from community transmission, while 14 others were connected with the index and another case.

  The state government also called on citizens to take serious preventive measures across the state.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending