Connect with us

NEWS

Mother, daughter electrocuted in Nnewi

Published

on

A 55-YEAR-OLD woman and her 11-year-old daughter were Monday evening, electrocuted at their shop in Nnewichi in Nnewi North Local Government Area of Anambra State.

The incident occurred at the victim’s shop along St. Peters Junction Okpunoeze in the indigenous technology town.

  Residents say the victims met their demise when a high tension wire fell on the rooftop of their shop and electrocuted the two people.

Although the victims were rushed to a nearby hospital by sympathisers, they where confirmed dead on arrival.

  According to Sector Public Education Officer of Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Pascal Anigbo, the victims were already dead before his men arrived the scene.

  “At about 5.01pm, it was reported that a high tension wire opposite St. Peters Clavers, along Nnewi-Nnobi road cut and fell on the roof of a shop, electrocuting two female victims. The victims were rushed to a hospital by sympathisers, before the arrival of FRSC rescue team from Nnewi Unit Command.

The team on reaching the hospital, learnt that the doctors had confirmed them dead. The Sector Commander Federal Road Safety Corps Anambra State, CC Andrew A. Kumapayi expressed the importance of ensuring that vehicles are checked and serviced regularly, with particular interest in the braking systems, to prevent avoidable road mishaps.

Traders and shop owners are also advised not to build shops under high tension wires. They should seek approval from relevant authorities before construction of any structure, along the road,” he said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending