Connect with us

NEWS

COVID-19: Anambra records first death as case toll reaches 10

Published

on

ANAMBRA State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano, yesterday announced the first death of a COVID-19 patient in the state.

The governor who made the declaration in special COVID-19 special broadcast to ndi Anmabra. 

  According to the governor, the deceased was a 66-year-old man who died as a result of reporting his case late to the hospital.

  Gov. Obiano regretted that despite early measures his government put in place to protect the state from the pandemic, Anambra has recorded nine cases and one death as at yesterday evening.

  “Ndi Anambra it is important to explain here that the only COVID-19 death we have recorded so far was a 66-year-old man who did not report his ill-health on time. His case was reported late to the hospital and by the time his result came back positive, 24 hours later, he had passed away.

Ndi Anambra, there is a possibility that his case would have been managed well if our Team had been alerted on time. I urge you to cooperate with our efforts to protect lives. People who hide their medical conditions run a high risk of dying from   COVID-19. Please, let us bear this in mind,” Obiano said.

  The governor stressed that low number of confirmed COVID-19 cases is the state was as a result of the aggressive case search mounted by Anambra Special Task Force on COVID-19 that is headed by him.

  He said that following the success of the Task Force at the state level, the team has since extended its activities to the 326 wards in Anambra State for a more aggressive campaign against the pandemic.

The governor expressed hope that the structure will help to ramp up more tests in the various communities to stamp out coronavirus from Anambra state.

  “So, while there may be a sharp rise in the number of cases in the coming weeks, rest assured that we have enough capacity to handle what will come out of the increased testing. We shall continue to innovate and seek new creative responses to Covid-19 as time goes on.

As you are well aware, long before we recorded our Covid-19 Index Case on April 9, 2020, we had made some commendable arrangements that would give us a fighting chance against this pandemic.

We have put together a 428-bed Protective Care Center to absorb Covid-19 cases and nurse them back to good health. We have made elaborate arrangements to fight this pandemic…we have fumigated all the 63 markets in Anambra State and distributed palliative materials to segments of our society.

 We have also continued to emphasize the strict adherence to all the Covid-19 protocol which includes heavy use of nose masks, frequent washing of hands, and regular use of hand-sanitiser and maintenance of social distancing. Out of the many tests we have conducted so far, we have recorded 9 positive Covid-19 cases. Four of these cases are currently in our Protective Care Center.

One of the cases was accompanying a corpse from Lagos to Imo State when his sample was captured in Anambra for testing. He has since returned to Lagos and we have communicated the appropriate authorities about his whereabouts. Three of the cases have been discharged and only one case has passed on,” he said.

  Calling for attitudinal change on the part of health workers who are reported to be hostile to suspected COVID-19 patients, the governor warned that such hostility will not be tolerated.

  “We cannot encourage any attitude that will discourage possible Covid-19 patients from walking willingly into hospitals to reveal their condition. I fully recognize the overriding importance of our healthcare workers who are on the frontline of the battle against this pandemic.

 It is on record that I generously acknowledged the efforts of the health workers who handled our Index Case and our two newly discharged cases here and assured them of some rewards.

So, we deeply appreciate our healthcare workers but we must also discourage any negative attitude from them where it exists. We have decided to set up a Case Medication Team.

This Team is made up of seasoned medical practitioners and public health officers who will deliberate and decide the best medical approaches to adopt on a case-by-case basis,” he continued.

   But Anambra recorded another confirmed coronavirus case yesterday to bring its total toll to 10 so far.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending