Connect with us

NEWS

Kankara pupil abduction: 17 boys have escaped from captivity – Masari

Published

on

B’Haram claims responsibility for abduction

KATSINA State Governor, Aminu Masari has disclosed that 17 of the missing schoolboys kidnapped from a Government Science Secondary School (GSSS) in Kankara Local Government Area of the state have escaped from captivity.

  Governor Masari, who disclosed this in an interview yesterday evening, said the schoolboys were found and had been reunited with their families.

He added that efforts have been intensified to rescue the remaining schoolboys still in captivity, safely.

 “As at Monday, information available to me shows that 17 of the missing children have been found. 15 of them were found around Dinya in Danmusa,   I was informed by the DPO. One other was found through them and the last, the father called that his son has returned home.

  “All these missing children who have been found have been reunited with their families since we have shut down the schools,” Masari said.

  He said that the victims escaped unconditionally and one of the abducted children’s father, who is also a teacher at the school was contacted by the captors who warned that security forces should stop using helicopters around their hideouts.

  “I was told that they spoke with a teacher whose son was also kidnapped that the bandits said the helicopter should stop roving and that they will collect ransom but they didn’t specify. And so they ended the call.

  “Majority of the missing children are in the forest in Zamfara. But God willing, the children will be returned safely,” the governor added.

  He said that the bandits however, ordered that adequate money should be earmarked and budgeted by those concerned pending the completion of the ongoing rescue mission.

  The governor, therefore, solicited prayers and urged the parents to remain calm and patient as everything possible was being done to rescue the children.

  It will be recalled that gunmen on Friday, attacked Government Science Secondary School in the Kankara Council Area of the North-west state, kidnapping scores of students.

Police authorities said they received a report of the attack around 11:30 pm and were told the bandits were armed with AK-47 rifles.

Initially, there were conflicting figures as to the number of students abducted during the attack but two days after the incident, the state government  confirmed that 333 schoolchildren were missing from the school.

“We are still counting because more are coming out from the forest and we are calling through the numbers those parents that have phone numbers to find out whether or not their children have gone back home,” he said when he received a federal government delegation led by the National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno.

The attack prompted the Katsina State Government to order the closure of all boarding schools in the state, a move aimed at forestalling similar occurrence

  Meanwhile, the leader of Boko Haram Islamist group, Abubakar Shekau, has claimed responsibility for the abduction of students that rocked Katsina State last week.

  Shekau made the claim in an audio tape released today saying his men were behind  the abduction.

“Our brothers were behind the abduction in Katsina,” he said.

  It will be recalled that a large group of men armed with AK-47s overran the all-boys Government Science Secondary School in the town of Kankara on Friday night, marching more than 300 students into surrounding forests..

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending