Connect with us

NEWS

Gas cylinder explosion kills 6 in Abeokuta

Published

on

NO fewer than six persons, including an infant, were yesterday confirmed dead when a refrigerator gas cylinder exploded in Oke-Egunya area of Abeokuta, Ogun State.

  Residents of the area said the explosion, which occurred around 2: 30 p.m, was caused by a technical error from a technician who was working on a faulty refrigerator.

  According to one of the residents, while  three people died on the spot, three others who initially sustained burns from the explosion died before the rescue team got them to the hospital where they were rushed for medical attention.

  Director of Ogun State Fire Service, Fatai Adefala, confirmed the incident.

  According to Adefala, his men arrived at the scene to put out the fire after receiving the distress.

  “We received a distress call at 3:15 pm at Oke-Igbore. We learnt it was a spark of fire. On getting there, we discovered it was a gas explosion. What really happened was that they were cooking outside with fire and unfortunately the gas exploded. They were trying to top the gas in the fridge, in the process, it exploded,” he said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending