Connect with us

BITS ON THE MATTER

U-Tube suspends Sky News Australia for COVID-19 misinformation

Published

on

U-TUBE has suspended News Corporation-owned Sky News Australia from its platform after accusing the news outlet of posting misleading information about coronavirus pandemic.

  Disclosing this in a media message today, U-Tube spokesperson said they are not taking the misinformation for granted as it could cause global havoc.

  “We have clear and established COVID-19 medical misinformation policies based on local and global health authority guidance, to prevent the spread of COVID-19 misinformation that could cause real-world harm.”

  We apply our policies equally for everyone regardless of the uploader, and in accordance with these policies and our long-standing strikes system, removed videos from and issued a strike to Sky News Australia’s channel.” U-Tube said.

The spokesperson added, “Specifically, we don’t allow content that denies the existence of COVID-19 or that encourages people to use hydroxychloroquine or ivermectin to treat or prevent the virus. We do allow for videos that have sufficient countervailing context, which the violative videos did not provide.”

  Sky News Australia said it rejected claims that any hosts ever denied the existence of COVID-19 and that “no such videos were ever published or removed”. It said, “a review of old videos published to the channel” had uncovered material that did not comply with YouTube’s policies.

  “We support broad discussion and debate on a wide range of topics and perspectives which is vital to any democracy. We take our commitment to meeting editorial and community expectations seriously,” said a Sky News Australia spokesperson.

  It would be recalled that the news outlet posted a variety of videos that said COVID-19 was fake and encouraged people to use hydroxychloroquine or ivermectin as vaccines.

   YouTube did not specify which Sky News program the videos was culled from but said the offending videos have now been removed.

  The channel which has 1.85m subscribers has been issued a strike and is suspended from uploading new videos or live streams for one week. Three strikes in the same 90-day period will result in a channel being permanently removed from U-Tube.

  One of Sky News’ most popular videos on U-Tube is Australian right-wing commentator Alan Jones’ ‘Australians must know the truth – this virus is not a pandemic’ video, which has 4.6 million views.

   Sky News was forced to apologise for a Jones interview with MP Craig Kelly in which they claimed the Delta variant is not dangerous and vaccines won’t help you on July 19. The video was removed and a lengthy apology was published on the Sky News website.

  Jones also recently called the New South Wales Chief Health Officer, Kerry Chant, a village idiot” on his Sky News program.

Meanwhile, Google, the owner of YouTube, signed a three-year deal with News Corp in February that will oblige the ubiquitous search engine to pay for journalism carried on sites such as the Wall Street Journal, The Times and The Australian.

  Both parties will also develop a subscription platform, cultivate audio and video journalism and share ad revenue.

  The agreement ended a protracted stalemate between Google and Australia, which had been engaged in a war of words over the search giant’s failure to compensate publishers, most notably News Corp, for use of their stories.

  Google will pay News Corp to display premium content from over 40 News Corp properties in a dedicated Google News Showcase, including The Wall Street Journal in the US, The Times in the UK, and Sky News in Australia itself.

  The expansive deal also includes similar multi-million dollar deals with smaller Australian publishers including Seven West, Nine Entertainment, and Junkee Media.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending