Connect with us

NEWS

Gas fire kills one, injures two in Onitsha

Published

on

AN eighteen-year-old man has lost his life in fire outbreak on  Monday night, as gas cylinder explosion rocked a building located at Abaluku, in Nkpor, Idemili North Local Government Area of Anambra State.

  The incident which occurred around 6:30pm rattled the residents who were in utter confusion how to manage the situation. However, efforts of individuals paid off in putting out the fire, but the most affected victim, an apprentice (name withheld)  was severely hurt,  rushed to hospital but later died.

  An eyewitness account, Mrs Ifunanya Itodo said, it was simply miraculous for this level of incidence to end without record of death, but we hoped and prayed for the young man to survive after he was taken to undisclosed hospital.

  Narrating the incident to National Light, “It all started with a deafening blast in the neighborhood. Before one could ask what was going on, thick smoke had already enveloped a building in the neighborhood. Confusion ensued as some people ran towards the building to provide  helping hands in saving the situation, while others flee from the scene. I was one of those who risked their lives to put out the fire.

  The fire started from a kitchen in the second floor of a three storey building.  The gas cylinder caught fire and exploded, shattering the iron bars in the kitchen window and throwing out the young man from the second floor to the ground. The eighteen-year-old young man, badly burnt by the fire, looked traumatised as he sat on the ground with his flesh pale-white from the burns.”

  Mrs Itodo said the young man who is an apprentice returned from washing his master’s car in the compound and wanted to light the gas cooker, only for it to catch fire immediately. His shouts and efforts to quench the inferno got him trapped in the disaster but attracted some people’s attention. As luck would have it, the cylinder exploded and the young man rather than blown to pieces in the explosion was only hurled high-up from the second floor to the ground alive. Nobody could explain much what happened than a clear evidence of God’s hand,” she stated.

  National Light gathered that efforts of people were able to put out the fire without the presence of fire service personnel. According to source, assistance was mobilized by good spirited individuals and the young man to be taken to an undisclosed hospital.

  Meanwhile, neither the young man’s master nor relation was close by when arrangement was being mobilized for his immediate medical attention.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Top Posts

Advertisement

Trending