... .Constitutes new ones to replace two others with flawed elections
Anambra State Government, through the Ministry of Commerce and Industry has rolled out polices to reform and modernise markets and make shopping pleasurable, so that Anambra State will regain its place as the number one place in trade and commerce.
The government intends to strengthen the markets’ leaderships to involve progressive governance, so that the unions can become effective partners in the modernization of the markets. Consequently, with these interim measures, the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Anambra State, through the office of the commissioner has rolled out the following polices for immediate implementation.
• The immediate dissolution of caretaker committees in some markets across Anambra State. The list of the markets affected are as follows:
1 ONITSHA MAIN MARKET
2 G.B.O MARKET
3 BRIDGE HEAD MARKET (OGBO OGWU)
4 OCHANJA CENTRAL MARKET
5 NWUGO MARKET (BEER MARKET)
6 PROGRESS MARKET
7 MILLENUIM MARKET
8 OCHANJA AREA MARKET
9 SOKOTO ROAD MAIN MARKET, ONITSHA
10 NASPA NNEWI
11 ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONICS DEALERS MARKET NNEWI
12 PLANT PARTS MARKET NNEWI
13 AGBA EDO UNITED (F-LINE MARKET, NNEWI)
14 OFUOBI TRADERS ASSOCIATION, NNEWI
15 OGBOFERE MARKET
16 OGBARU PLASTIC MARKET
17 SHOE MANUFACTURING MARKET, OGBARU
18 IRON DEALERS MARKET, ONITSHA
19 ABADA INTERNATIONAL MARKET
20 OKORO ICHIDA MARKET
21 GENERAL MOTORS SPARE PARTS OKPOKO, OGBARU
22 BICYCLE SPARE PARTS, OGBUNIKE
23 NKPOR MAIN MARKET
24 GRAIN SEED MARKET OBOSI
25 SYNTHETIC FABRICS OGIDI
26 BUILDING MATERIALS MARKET, OGBUNIKE
27 STOCKFISH INTERNATIONAL, OBOSI
28 NEW MOTOR SPARE PARTS DEALERS ASSOCIATION, OBOSI
29 ODERA MARKET
30 OYE UGA MARKET
• The reconstitution of new caretaker committees, comprising of credible individuals on or before the 12th of May 2022.
• Constitute caretaker committees to replace all the executive bodies whose elections were deemed to be flawed by on or before the 12th of May 2022. The list of markets affected are as follows:
- OSE OKWODU
- OGBARU MAIN MARKET (RELIEF MARKET)
• The Government will put in place a framework to hold transparent, free and fair elections across affected markets by Option A4 (All registered members will be expected to stand behind their preferred candidate in an open election). All elections will be held between March and April, 2023
• Create a credible voter register across all markets by accrediting only properly registered members of each market, as those eligible to vote in elections in the market.
• Eligibility for voting in any market election will henceforth be based on participation in the enumeration process.
• There is no increase whatsoever in the levies collected in the market by unions or government.
Dr. Obinna Ngonadi, Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Anambra State.